The role of the facilitator in Open Space is two-fold. It is to "create the space" (the space in which possibilities can occur) at the beginning of the day and to "hold the space" throughout the duration of Open Space.
- The facilitator should be totally present and absolutely invisible.
- It is not your role as facilitator to caretake or interfere with what is emerging as Open Space is based on the freedom of choice of participants.
- As a rule, don't answer any questions about Open Space as it usually ends up as "rationalising".
- The facilitator's job is to describe but not to "explain" the process.
- OpenSpace is built on the premise that everybody is capable of and interested in working together, and that they are individually and collectively responsible for what comes out of the sessions.